Rage Against Suburban Zombie-ism
Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Fuck the
Oscars.

Years ago, I stopped watching/caring about the Oscars. In latter years, I would just watch for the red carpet, but why waste my time if it's all truncated on the blogs...live as it happens / available the next morning or whenever I have time to scroll through the pics??

Film-wise, it's about entertainment for me.  What do I feel like watching at that particular moment?  If it's not about entertainment, my choice will most likely be a documentary.  Not just about anything, but I have to be interested in the topic that's being presented.  If it's neither about entertainment nor education, it'll usually be a writer/director type movie that's well done with a good message.

And based on the recommendation/reminder from a FB friend, I finally got to see Beyond The Lights last night from the writer/director, Gina Prince-Blythewood (Love & Basketball, The Secret Life of Bees).

As per the trailer, expect Beyond The Lights to be cheesy at times, but not in a Nicholas Sparks someone's-got-cancer saccharin sort of way.  Beyond the romance, this film is a great example of what casting does to a movie.  (Surprisingly, Minnie Driver almost outshone the female lead, Gugu Mbatha-Raw.)  And beyond the casting, there is a solid message that's never too late to hear!

Labels:



posted by Stephania at 2:11 pm
|
Comments: Post a Comment
All Music.com
Bible Gateway
Dictionary.com - USE IT!
eBay.ca
eBay.com

Aime Luxury
Elaine
Eleasa
Magda
Ruth

Internet Movie Db
PIG Radio
stereogum
Steve Lamacq
Urban Dictionary
Value Village

A Socialite's Life
Dlisted


Looking for something?




About Stephania

Email me! - pls include email address if you want a response!

Your FAV Blog


This page is powered by Blogger, the easy way to update your web site.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com





Follow this blog